Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday - Backwards Edition


This week is a backwards Works For Me Wednesday, where I ask you a question, and you help me with you answers.

I am trying to figure out how to explain to a three year old what lying is. I have been told that she is too young to understand and that I should just chalk it up to it being her age. But I would like to at least introduce her to what lying is, but I really not sure how to do it and make an impact. I have tried to call her out when she its very obvious she's lying to me - or not telling me the truth.

For example, I will ask her she picked up all of the toys in her bedroom like I asked, and she will say yes and then when I check they are still all over the floor. Usually I will say something like "I asked you if you picked up all the toys and you said yes but they are still all over the floor - that is lying. Telling me something that is not right" I don't know if this is the right approach or not.

I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have. Be sure to check out Shannon's blog for lots more great WFMW posts!

4 comments:

  1. No I don't think you should just chalk up to be her age! By gently explaining to her what lying is, I believe she will begin to understand. Perhaps you can find a story about lying from your library to help her understand. She will grasp the concept eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know that game where you put something in one of your hands behind your back and then hold out your closed hands and have your child guess which one is in it? Show your child that game, and then have them see if they can "trick" you. Most young children will put the item in their hand behind their back and then when they bring their hands out the one with the object in it is open. They don't realize that they can "trick" you so they don't even try. If your child can't perform this trick with both hands closed they are unable to understand what a "lie" is. If they can do it then over and over you should be amazed that the little one "tricked" Mommy! I like the word trick or story rather than lie -- just easier for their little brains to understand that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read her the story of Pinocchio. She's only 3 so she may not understand the difference between a truth or a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,
    Have you checked out the EAP site that they just mentioned in an email yesterday? They have tons of information on children, disciplining, anything you want to know about anything. If you need help in finding the info, give me a call and I can guide you. I found alot in there that applied to me and Anakin and Tara. Check it out. I know what you are going through what with Anakin the same age. Our problem is his whining and crying when he doesn't get his own way. We have a hard time since there is no discipline when he is with his dad :(
    Sue

    ReplyDelete